Sunday, October 19, 2008

TIA! Eh?

Blood Diamond anyone? Hmm? Ok anyway, So I have been here for 2 and half weeks already! Hard for me to believe! I have continued to work in the nursery for the majority of my time here. I have done some work with the older kids and that has been really good. I have a couple of favorites (it's hard not to), and hopefully I will post some pictures of them soon. The last few days I have been tagging around doing some of the driving and learning where the airport, the schools, and such are, because next week I am on driving all week (Nico, who usually drives, is going to be gone for the week). Driving in Africa is interesting, for one thing they drive on the opposite side of the road, however that's really not hard to get used to at all. The one main scary thing is that people walk all over the road! I am scared of hitting some one! There is rumor that soon I will be taking over one of the Pre-school teacher positions when one of the other volunteers leaves to go home. That is something I am really looking forward to! It is finally spring here, which means that it is finally raining! And when it rains here... It RAINS! For the past couple days in the evening we have had the most spectacular lightning storms that I have ever seen; not even comparative to anything we have in SK. Also the rain means that it has cooled off a bit. I am told that for most of the spring there will be a thunderstorm every single evening! As time goes on here, I am beginning to learn some of the kids stories. There is a little girl here who has such horrible psychological problems, due to the fact that she was laying on the bed besider her mother, when her mother was shot! Thankfully she has been able to see a psychologist, very quickly (something that doesn't happen often here). There is another little boy here named Rowan, who has an abnormally large head, but is two years old and can't even sit up. He was left basically for the past 2 years in a hospital, just surviving, with no one to help him. Since he has come to TLC, he is receiving help and is really healthy now, and is on his way to crawling, very far behind where he should be, but at least now he is moving along. There are so many other stories to tell and so many more for me to learn, and I will continue to share those with you over the next couple months. Thank you again for your prayers! Oh and Happy - late - Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's awesome to keep up with your adventure there dude! Way to live!

Anonymous said...

Andrew that is really exciting. It sounds like a great adventure plus a great experience to be used by God in a humbling way. Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I remember those thunderstorms. I've never seen anything like them in my life. Amazing! Glad you're enjoying your time there. Lately I've been thinking seriously about going back long term if they have need for me...Merilee shared your blog address with me. Give some baby kisses for me :)
Ang