Friday, November 21, 2008

A couple of Adventures

Here are two adventures that have happened resently...

On my way to fetch Amy from school, I was again stopped at a Police Road Block. They were searching everyone (possibly for weapons), looked in the boot and then checked out my license. The lady was confused by my license, and so I explained where I was from and what I was doing in Africa. She asked for my passport, but I explained that I don't carry it with me, but that it was back where I am living. She took me across the road to talk to a different officer. The officer repeated all her questions, then suddenly became "angry" (they really like to hassle foreigners) He was saying, "this is not ok, you are a visitor in this country, you shouldn't be driving, I am going to give you a R1000 fine and you must pay it now." I explained that I didn't have R1000 (but I wouldn't have given it to him anyway). He said, "Then you must wait until I am done here, then you will come with me to the station and we will lock you up until someone can come and pay this fine for you." Before I could really respond, he and the lady started kind of play fighting, but they were talking in Zulu or something so I couldn't understand. She was trying to grab my license from him, but he kepy running away laughing; this went on for about 5 minutes. Finally she went back across the road to my car. He called my over and asked again if I had R1000, I told him no, all i had in my wallet was R20. He said, you can go give the R20 to the girl and she might let you go. He gave me back my license and I went back across the street. I tried to give the lady the money, but she said, "no not here". So she walked around to the back of the car, and I went and discreatly passed her the bill... she let me go. Of course I don't agree with this, however I didn't really have many options.

Another adventure...

Today someone spotted a snake on the far side of the pool. There was a great fuss as someone tried to catch the snake and get it into a pail, luckily the snake was cornered against a building. Finally once it was caught, we discovered that it was a spitting cobra! Scary, hopefully none end up in my bedroom!

Well that's a couple of the happenings here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, andrew, it sounds like you are having a crazy amazing time.i will be praying for you.Oh and after reading your entry, I suggest that you would photocopy your passport and your visa, and carry it with you.When I was working in new york, I was told to do that, because I could have been kicked out of the country if the police found out that i wasn't carrying it.anyways you are doing a wonderful job.

Anonymous said...

ps. i ment to say be sure to carry the photocopy not the original

Sheri said...

Hahahaa I dont know why but I find these stories funny... Those officers seem like a joke... And the snake.. did you eat it??
Oh stink Have a good day!

Brandon Bertram said...

did you throw the snake in the microwave and press the button that said 'snake'?

Steve-o said...

dude! i found this! by that i mean your blog! i was at briercrest this weekend and rob reminded me about it. so,i'll be reading now, i'm thinking of you man. i got your prayer card from camp up in my room!
love you dude,
steve